`

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Happy Birthday! An Open Letter to my Blog


Well look who's 3 years old today! My blog! I was going to say Happy Anniversary, but I dont like the sound of that, so it's my blog's birthday. Take it and like it.

Well, we've been through a lot together. April 6th, 2009 I decided to start my own nail polish blog after randomly stumbling upon Scrangie's blog. I didnt start immediately after that, it was a couple of months before my addiction to nail polish prompted me to start blogging. At first, I had to get over my inital shock. "Who would blog about nail polish?", I thought to myself. However, I kept coming back to the blog, intriuged by the colors. By then, I knew that polish companies came out with seasonal collections and glitter polishes were addictive, flashy little things. When I first started my blog, there were not many solely-polish dedicated  blogs, and I knew of no women of color who had nail blogs. However, it didnt take me long to figure out that I wasnt seeing swatches on skin that looked like mine. Had I known what I know now, I probably would have grinded a little harder at blogging. Initally, I was very excited at showing my small polish collection and I had time to work on blogging. Then, life got in the way and I started being able to blog less frequently. This was due to a number of things; family issues, money problems, my senior year of college, internship woes, relationship problems, relocating to another city, etc. Basically, a lot of things got in the way of me consistenly blogging about what I loved.  What is the past, I cant change; but the future is up in the air. Somedays I truly struggle with the direction I want to take my blog. I want to consistently post and write about the latest collections and make a new series, basically make my blog reflect more of my creativity I know is within. On the other hand, I feel like my resources constrain that effort. I work 8 to 5, I attend grad school at night and I'm have some beginning life issues that I need to sort out about myself. I tell myself I want it all. However, that thought translates into some serious work in which I find myself thinking there are not enough hours in the day.

In sum, I'm proud of my blog; and over the course of 3 years, theres never been a time I wish I had decided not to blog. There's defintely been some decisions made that I havent been so sure about and some that I couldnt be happier with. My wish for the future of my blog is to continue to grow. I want to improve my writing, my pictures, my application technique, the audience I reach. Most of all, I want this to continue to be an outlet where I can purse the things that truly make me happy.

Best wishes for our future,

♥ Lachelle

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...